Product > Add New Product
- Product Categories – self explanatory, but you can add them directly from the product page
- Product Tags – add additional categorization that doesn’t need to be a product (like colors, etc)
- Product Gallery – pictures that appear as thumbnails on the product page. As the customer clicks on them, they cycle to become the “big” featured image
- Product Image – set the main feature image
Before adding your products you should get to know hoe product tages, categories and attributes work.
Categories and tags can be selected before or after the product has been created. They work pretty much the same as they do in any other post tags and categories.
Attributes, can either be added per product, or you can set up global attributes for the entire store to use.
When adding your product, the first thing to decide is the type of product it is.
- The Simple product type covers the vast majority of any products you may sell. Simple products are shipped and have no options.
- A Grouped product is a group of related products which can be purchased individually and can only consist of simple products. For example, a Mattress could be a grouped product as there are Single, Double and King Size variations of that same parent product.
- An External or Affiliate product is one that you list and describe on your website, but it is sold somewhere else.
- A Variable product is a product that has different variations, with a different price, SKU or stock option etc. For example, a dress available in a range of different colours and/or sizes.
Adding a simple product is a straightforward process. In the Products menu, click Add Product. You should immediately see where to type the product name and product description.
Under the main dialog box is the Product Type panel. Here you define the product type (as outlined above) and whether it is a downloadable (digital) or virtual (service) product.
- SKU – stock keep unit, used to track products. Must be unique, and should be named so it does not clash with post IDs.
- Regular Price – Item’s main price.
- Sale Price – Item’s sale price.
The inventory tab allows you to manage stock for the product individually and define whether to allow back orders. If stock management is disabled from the settings page, only the ‘stock status’ option will be visible.
- Weight – Weight of the item.
- Dimensions – Length, width, and height for the item.
- Shipping Class – Shipping classes are used by certain shipping methods to group similar products.
Linked Products tab
Using up-sells and cross-sells you can cross promote your products with one another. They can be added by searching for a particular product and selecting the product from the dropdown list: