Once you have your new website up and running it is easy to forget about just forget about it however maintaining your website is extremely important if you want it to be successful. Your website will continue to run as smoothly as possible if it is regularly maintained which will in turn keep your old and potential customers happy as no one likes a site that doesn’t work properly or is full of broken links. There is a lot to be done when maintaining a site but whether you maintain it yourself or get someone else to do it for you, you must ensure it is done!
Your regular visitors come to your website for updates on your products or service so make sure you provide them with new information on news, events, products or promotions.
Unfortunately the internet is full of hackers so you need to do your best to avoid your website being hacked. With regular maintenance you can avoid this by keeping everything up to date.
You wouldn’t visit a website again that hasn’t been updated in months or even years, so if you don’t update yours why would anyone carry on to visit your website or blog?
Updating your website content
Website maintenance includes updating old content. Company information can become regularly out of date so make sure your content is always up to date so your customers can always get the right information. Your website content may include text, images, products etc.
- Product Updates are important if you have eCommerce on your site.
- You should announce new products that have been added to the site to make people aware of them.If your website has a side navigation (sidebar) you may want to add the updates to this so that visitors can see the announcement on which ever page they go on.
- Just like when announcing new products you should also announce when you are discontinuing products. You don’t want your customers searching for a product that isn’t there.
- Future price changes may also be something that you want to announce too. You never know this could help encourage some rush purchases!
- Company News – Visitors like to know what your company has been up to so if you have been given any awards or been in the newspaper recently then make sure you add it to your site. With so much choice in the market people are also looking for reviews of products and services so make sure you show your visitors what people are saying about you.If your business is so successful that you need new staff then your website is the place to announce it and maybe even introduce them?
- Giveaways or contests are also a great way to boost site traffic, having them regularly can help to ensure your customers re visit.